Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Stuff going on in the world

Quick hits! 
1.  A kid dropped out of high school to play video games, and now makes six figures!
2. Radical Islamists are making video games! Scary stuff!
3. Joystiq had this one, but the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) has created a video games award!
4.  G4 covers this already, but it appears USA Networks is in development of a video game show

Now, here’s what I think about it.  Lucky on the kid who dropped out of school to play games.  I mean, sports people forgo college all the time right?  What's really the difference between this kid (
Tom Taylor) and Lebron or Kobe?  Ultimately, I think we'll see gamers get as much reverence as a sports star.  It's going to take one heck of a personality to do it, but I think there is enough bravado and ego in gaming to see it happen.

As for our Islamic radicals, whoa!  Scares the heck out of me, but I will not get political.  I think it is just an illustration of the power of games in the pursuit of hearts and minds.  Games can be just another tool in arsenal of those who want to influence ideas. I am sure in our enemies’ countries they point to America's Army as the same thing!

Gaming awards shows are interesting.  The thing I find though is that the market is saturated with so many similar games that it many of the best games are similar.  Very rarely does a new style of game appear that is industry changing (think Wolfenstein 3-D and GTA 3) Anyway, its good to see the hard work of programmers get rewarded.  Let's just hope we don't get the silly proliferation of awards shows like we do with films and music!

 

No comments: