Monday, October 9, 2006

Long weekend.

Ooofa!  What a long weekend.  Just went to my 5th of 6 weddings this weekend!  Let me tell you about having one wedding a month for 6 months....it's tiring!  What does this have to do with games?  I don't know,  but they should make a game for wedding planning!  Wouldn't that be pretty funny!  If you lose your fiance leaves you.  Ah well,  I digress. 

There have been some interesting developments in the online world.

1.  Google is set to buy uTube.com.  Well folks that's just crazy!  While everyone has spent the last 10-15 years complaining about the evil empire of Microsoft,  Google has seemingly quietly taken over the place of the software giant.  Google is serious and they have TONS of moolah to play around with.  Get set to see Google in your life for a great long time.

2.  Microsoft is excited about it's new operating system Vista.  Should be interesting to see how it goes.  As with all MS stuff,  people will rip it.  But alas MS is big brother and whatever they do is news.  I for one will wait before I put Vista on my machine! 

3.  Sony's ex-CEO says their consumer electronics is dying?  I find that hard to believe.  I mean,  they are in the laptop business,  they sell Portable Playstations?  Sure,  they don't sell Walkmen anymore but come on?  And after all,  what the heck is a Playstation anyway, isn't that consumer electronics?

4.  Another sad product of the web boom and the change in the world at large is the liquidation of Tower Records.  For anyone old enough to remember the weekly or even daily trip to a record store,  the loss of Tower hurts.  Its a symbol of a way of life for teenagers that will never exist again.  The idea of holding a record/disk/etc. in your hands, reading the track list and just knowing you had to have it.  

I have to give a big cheers to Tower Records on Forth Street and Broadway in Manhattan.  It was a meeting place,  a central location and always an event when you stepped into the store.  They just seemed to have every record that was ever made.  I was in awe of the store and even recently I still went in just to see how the old girl was doing. 

Thanks for listening gang,  I expect to make another entry at the end of the day.

 

No comments: