Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Frustration Grows. Games not working and what you can do.


I have been reading on the boards about so many people having trouble.  I have found that the majority of people having issues are those using the AOL Client.  Be it either 9.0 or 9.1 both are having issues.  The games team is aware of the issues and we're working hard to identify the issues.   It is COMPLETELY frustrating to see everyone having issues. 

However,  THERE IS HOPE.  The majority of these issues can be avoided by using an alternative browser.  Here is the latest help file I have:
Use Internet Explorer:
To launch Explorer, 
1. Log into AOL as you normally would. 
2. Minimize the AOL client (the minus in the upper right)
3. Run Explorer (Start>>>>All Programs>>>>Internet Explorer (Blue E)
4.  Follow the instructions below.
User's with Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher

Once Explorer is opened, click "Tools" then "Internet Options". From the Internet Options list:

GENERAL TAB:

  • Delete temporary files (both online and offline files)
  • Delete cookies
  • Clear History

PRIVACY TAB:

  • Set Privacy to  MEDIUM or lower-- this may require using a "Default Level"
  • Turn Off "Block Pop-ups"

SECURITY TAB:

  • Set Security  to  MEDIUM or lower-- this may require using a "Default Level"

ADVANCED SETTING:

  • Click "Restore defaults"
  • Click APPLY SETTINGS followed by OK
  1. Click "Tools" followed by "Clear Private Data."
  2. (Make sure "cache" is selected). Click "OK."

Once you have done all these things,  enter http://games.aol.com in the Internet Explorer address bar.

Spread the word and get this help file out!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have 9.0 and i tried what you suggested and still can't get game to load.
My problems seems to be with java. The screen comes up all the way to
the games and when i select a machine then the java keeps telling me
java applet failed.. java.io..IOE exception:open http connection failed. what
does that mean??? Can it be fixed? Thanks

Anonymous said...

I'm one who very consistently cannot play Solitaire or Bingo internally on AOL using 9.0VR or 9.1. It's the java that causes the problem. It errors out with a fatal error message and/or a message that several java machines running at once, cannot load Solitaire. BUT, if I go to IE externally, I have no problem loading Solitaire. I'm using IE 7 on XP Sp 2 and all updates.  This kinda tells me that something in the full clients of AOL is not playing nice with Java.

Franki

Anonymous said...

We've seen this one in the past,  what may be happening is that you have two versions of Java installed on your computer.
What you may need to do is uninstall BOTH versions of java on your machine, then download a new client from http://www.java.com  
Let me know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Hello I'm trying to find information on aol subscribers that play club pogo games. The pogo tech told me I have to delete aol from my computer to play Battle Phlinx. The game loads find but the start button does not start the game. I do not wish to delete aol. Do you have a solution or somewhere/someone that can help me? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

hello . when i play solitaire race the game loads fine but when i drag my cards from pile to pile my mouse has a delay. it only seems to happen on this game and only on my home computer. any suggestions. i tried deleting the history and using the settings suggested in the blog.
thanks

Anonymous said...

I love Solitaire Race, but, have never been able to get into the Lobby ?

I get the red X ??

Is there an easy way to explain to a Computer challenged person how I can get into the Lobby :)

Thanks - (hoping i can find this place again to read any replies :)

Anonymous said...

The instructions above about pretty straight forward and will likely help your Red X issues.  Have you gone through the steps above?  Please let me know.You can email me if you need help.